Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,798
Like?
Re: Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600
In reply to A Owens, Mar 20, 2013

I use both a Nex 7 and D800e and cannot see that the Nex provides more resolution.

The NEX7 provides less resolution than the D800.  The NEX7 would show more detail if you were merely comparing crops from from the two cameras taken at the same distance, but if you shoot the same scene with the same FOV using both cameras then the D800 will show more detail.

I can see why Canon stopped at 22 (ish) mp though!

Neither Canon nor Sony has stopped pursuing more megapixels in their cameras.  There are advantages that go beyond brute resolution to having more megapixels in cameras, but those advantages come at a cost; files take longer to process and you lose fps and buffer, so it's a trade-off between higher MP and more speed.  Canon will undoubtedly bite the bullet and pay for greater bandwidth and within a couple of years I'm sure we'll be seeing 48 MP 135 format DSLRs from both Canon and Nikon; I think Sony will be exiting the SLR market within the next couple of years, but they will likely have 36 MP APS-C sensors in their NEX cameras in the not-too-distant future.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow