The Best Portrait Lenses?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Emeraldforest
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Re: The Best Portrait Lenses?
In reply to Dan_168, Mar 20, 2013

I am sure the AIS version is really good too.  I think they changed the optical formula but I could be wrong.  The AI copy I have kills it.  Got it for $179 bucks and it was the best money I have ever spent.  I would think the ais version is the same but I have not tried it, so I can't speak for it.  There is something magical in that lens, something that just is not in modern glass.  I am a big fan of ai and ais lens, so I am partial to them but I have my share of modern lenses too and there is something dreamy and special about the old 105's.  I highly recommend getting one.  I would love to try out the AIS version.  I have the 105mm 2.8 micro ais and it is my favorite macro/micro lens by far.  Old pro glass is hard to beat, unless you can't hang with manual focus.  There is a time and place for manual and a time and place for mandatory autofocus but when I get the chance I almost always work in a few shots with my trusty 105mm 2.5 ai and shoot it around f/4 to f/5.6 and get the subject to be a distance from the background and whammo, the best bokeh ever.  I like to shoot it at f/2.5 because it gives a dreamy look but for face portraits, it is not enough DOF to get the nose to ear focus plane sharp.  I also like to use the 105mm 2.5 ai for flower portraits but usually the 105 2.8 ais micro jumps in there during that application.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow