Reviews, hands-on, samples of HS50 Part VI

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,925Gear list
Like?
Re: second generation? seriously?
In reply to isb_deep, Mar 20, 2013

I don't know if I see any substantial difference, even at 100%. The camera did choose 400% at M-size compared to DR 100% at L size. I think there is not enough of a difference in DR in this shot for the 400% to shine. What do you think, Kim and Joms ?

They are extremely similar, and you can hardly see any difference until you get to 100%.

As Joms said (between snotty comments) the M size is less sharp.

Now, my guess is that you did not try to equalize sharpness, so I did that for you ...

Now the differences are more apparent. Clearly, for example, there is no more detail at all captured in L size.

But more importantly, the surfaces, especially where curved like the individual tines of the wing, simply retain more 3-dimensionality than they do in L size. The smaller pixels and processing of the camera creates subtle edge artifacts that kind of ruin that.

In my opinion of course.

This effect is much more pronounced when shooting in the woods where distant foliage or tree trunks etc have very fine low contrast details and are often in shadow, and L size mahgle those something fierce.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow