PIX 2015

D5100 user considering NEX-6

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Re: D5100 user considering NEX-6
In reply to mgn2, Mar 20, 2013

I'm going with everyone else and say that unless you HAVE to use a smaller/lighter kit, I see no sense in substituting the D5100.

I have a Pentax K5 and decided to *add* a NEX6 because I wanted a 'travel light kit' (Nex + 16-50mm PZ and the 50mm F1.8. And I found the 16-50mm to have good image quality).

The focusing speed is reasonable within good conditions (i.e. outdoors) but can be a bit irritating on a low light environment or a not too contrasty situation. If you NEED fast AF, then mirrorless is still not for you (well, people say wonders about Oly and Panny m43 cams.... but I've never used any of them so can't tell how fast their focus system is).

Another thing that I find worth mentioning: battery life! If you plan a whole day of shooting I'd recommend at least one spare battery.
(I don't know how much the battery last for the D5100 but I reckon you may get around 600 shots or more [without using liveview, of course].With the K5 I can get about a 1000 shots)

It all boils down to this, IMHO: if you take the NEX for what it's worth -a small, capable and fun camera- you'll be VERY pleased with it. Otherwise you may want to look around a bit more

-- hide signature --

I'm lazy to post my pics here. So you can look at them here:
Or you can look at older stuff here:

neo_nights's gear list:neo_nights's gear list
Pentax K20D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow