Canon is about to launch super small DSLR. Implications for next Oly E?

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,870Gear list
Like?
This all but guarantees that Canon won't compete...
In reply to Philly, Mar 20, 2013

.... in the mirrorless market. At least that's how I read it. Specs were leaked on Best Buy web sight and many rumor sites, so I think EOS-b is a pretty sure thing.

Some folks are wondering if this new super small Canon DSLR spells doom for mirrorless cameras. I presume they think the only selling point for mirrorless is the size of the cameras. This sums it up very clearly to me--Canon will not complete in the mirrorless market and will try to sell this as something new. They will market it the small size of the camera, on the huge lens catalog (even if most camera lens combinations are just silly), and maybe the smallest camera with an OVF. But it's just a smaller trimmed down Rebel and that's it. Olympus already tried this route with the E-4xx.

The EOS-b will have lots of monstrously large lenses to negate any size advantage that the body brings. Mirrorless cameras with their lenses are much smaller systems all together. They are better for video and live view than DSLRs, better for legacy lenses, better for HD video. The EVFs are improving in leaps and bounds.

Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, and Fuji should be doing a happy dance right now imo. As far as Olympus DSLRs go, 4/3rds and E-system don't really compete with super small DSLRs any more. The E-4xx series has been replaced by mirrorless. The current and next OM-D is Olympus' answer to the EOS-b.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
mpeman MOD
mpeman MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow