Anyone try new NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G on D800

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lasse Eisele
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to Mike Wilcox, Mar 20, 2013

Just got my lens. Took it out in the back and shot the fence at most apertures and focal lengths.

Physical - Incredibly light and reasonably compact. Very similar to the 24-85 but slightly lighter. 77mm filter size which is nice.

Optically:

Sharpness: Excellent at all focal lengths from f/3.5 (f/4.5 at 35) to f/11 with f/5.6 seeming to be the best on my sample.

Distortion: Very little noticed but haven't really checked this out yet. Definitely the least barrel distortion of any super-wide I have ever owned. No correction for distortion or CA on these samples.

CA: slight at edge of frame but easily corrected.

Below is a link to 4 full size jpegs with just normal sharpening and curves adjustment out of LR. Shot with D600. I only provided 18mm and 35mm at wide open and f/5.6 as everything else upt f/11 is pretty much the same. F/16 and smaller is good but starts to fall off a bit due to refraction.

Best Nikkor I have shot with. All shots with D600 at iso 100 on tripod. This is the lens that will stay on the camera.

http://www.openshadowsphotography.com/Other/Nikon-18-35G/28514510_h2qvGd#!i=2416561209&k=ttVXpfX&lb=1&s=A

Very encouraging report! This lens would be perfect for my needs if edge performance is good enough at f/8-11.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow