Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,927Gear list
Like?
Re: Sorry, I disagree -
In reply to Nightwings, Mar 19, 2013

Nightwings wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

ADL is not extending the DR of the sensor, it is simply compressing the DR after the capture has been made. I have been disappointed by it in cameras that have it. It seems to help either the highlights or the shadows but not both together, which is why the sensor based DR gain possible in EXR cameras is unique.

It helps the highlights... because it drops the exposure time ... then lifts shadows where necessary. It's been my experience with the D7000, P7100, P510, that it does indeed.... correct both highlights and shadows ... at various levels depending on the situation and settings.

But that was his point. When you rely on a software fix (underexposure followed by applying a curve) you increase noise by definition.

EXR technology exposes highlights and mid-darks differently, blending the two on a curve. This creates a much less noisy HDR image.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow