hands-on review of the D7100

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Re: edited version
In reply to Gar Ber, Mar 19, 2013

Gar Ber wrote:

I didn't have much time today to do any extensive testing on the DNG file of the sunflower picture, however there are some "interesting" consequences of using LR4 for D7100 editing. As you might be away D7100 raws can be imported into LR4 by using the trick posted on the OP page.

If anyone wants to look at this, try looking at some out of focus, low light shadow area at low ISO (for example ISO 100). Now play a little with the LR color noise reduction slider...set it to 0 then 50 then 0 again.

At least for the sunflower picture the LR color noise reduction shows the lines/row pattern that I describe in my initial post, where they were not so apparent before - maybe they were just masked by the color noise. I can't tell if this only happens on the single D7100 DNG file that I have, but if it happens with other files too, then LR color noise removal actually makes the pattern appear more distinct to my eyes.

For example I just tried opening the same file in RawTherapee and used the simple Line Noise Removal setting of 14 and this line noise pattern disappeared completely.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to insinuate anything about LR, I'm just posting my findings with the limited data that I can get my hands on.

And we're at the end of the thread.

There's the problem with hacking a D7100 file to look like a D5200.  There are probably a few differences in the NEF coding.  I think we're going to have to wait until ACR 3.7/LR 4.4 comes out or download the release candidate to experiment.  Or just use VNX2/CNX2 as best we can until then.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow