Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
Film (!!) scans / workflow in 2013
Mar 19, 2013

About two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to go north and shoot the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights).  After doing a bunch of research, I took the experts advice and packed my film camera and a few rolls of film (!!) for the trip, since many websites noted that dSLRs don't do well below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.   I was rewarded for carrying the extra luggage when my dSLR died inexplicably about 15 minutes into a great Aurora display at 12:30AM in 5-below temps. Out came the film camera, and the rest of the Aurora display that night went on film.  FYI, the dSLR was fine after warming up in the hotel for a few hours.

I just got an e-mail notification that my film has been processed and scanned, and the image album has been uploaded to my print service's website.  The online thumbnails are lousy, but I just ordered a CD of the highest-res scans they do (~2000x3000 jpgs from 35mm film, roughly equivalent to a 6mp dSLR).

While I wait for my "real" files to arrive in the mail, I was curious if anyone still does enough film shooting to have a digital workflow for output from their film shoots?  If you don't like the scans you get from your print service, do you re-scan at home?  How do you deal with less flexibility in jpg editing compared to RAW editing?

FYI, I normally use LR4 to download/edit RAW files from my dSLR and have been shooting RAW since LR2.

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow