qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,995Gear list
Like?
Re: relate
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 19, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Sharpness and resolution are not the same thing! But you use them interchangeably!

Well, don't almost everybody do that?

No. They define the two very differently and explain how the relate to each other.

Actually DXOMark uses the two words interchangeably but they don't mean acutance. DXOMark's P-MPix is based on MTF data.

Photozone call it "MTF (resolution)". Isn't it OK to call it "the MTF-50 resolution", if that's what it is? Would it be better to measure e.g. the MTF-10 resolution? On DxO we could see the full MTF graphs before, but unfortunately not any more.

Because they score a not well understood hybrid subjective measurement now. Good for comparing like formats or different lens on same body. Less useful as an absolute but kind of an "in the ballpark" result.

I agree DXOMark should publish the formula for how they calculate P-MPix, maybe based on average MTF cross entire frame (center, mid-range, edges, corners) mixed with some other tested data in some ohter areas?

For example DXOMark just tested Sigma 35/1.4 on D800 with 23 P-MPix vs 17 P-MPix on 5D2. I think it's about right.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/1056/(brand)/Sigma/(camera1)/0/(lens2)/1057/(brand2)/Sigma/(camera2)/0

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow