Selling a news photo in London

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529
Selling a news photo in London
Mar 19, 2013

I live in an apartment overlooking the River Thames about four hundred yards from the startline of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. I have a balcony overlooking the river.

I was shooting some shots at a small exhibition about half a mile away.

As I was walking home I was aware of a mass of blue emergency lights.

When I arrived home there were two fire engines parked in between my flat and the river. There were two ambulances and a couple of police launches. I'd count about fifty emergency service personel.

It seems that someone had jumped or fallen off Putney bridge and drifted downstream. A gardener working in front of my flat called the emergency services. A helicopter had landed on the 'beach' within a hundred yards of my flat. That in itself would have been quite a sight.

All my neighbours said 'Did you get some good shots, Tony?'. I was carrying my camera but, by about fifteen minutes, I'd missed the full drama.

The odd thing is that I am glad.

Glad because if I'd had the shots I would not have known what to do with them. I cannot believe the answer is to phone one's favourite newspaper or maybe the BBC and simply hand them over. The one thing I have learnt in life is that you don't negotiate fees retrospectively.

OK, it was not a 'celeb' who was in the river - but, talking to my neighbours, the action was pretty spectacular. The shots must have been worth something. Or maybe not?

What would you experts have done?

This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow