Started Mar 19, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,045
Like?
Selling a news photo in London
Mar 19, 2013

I live in an apartment overlooking the River Thames about four hundred yards from the startline of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. I have a balcony overlooking the river.

I was shooting some shots at a small exhibition about half a mile away.

As I was walking home I was aware of a mass of blue emergency lights.

When I arrived home there were two fire engines parked in between my flat and the river. There were two ambulances and a couple of police launches. I'd count about fifty emergency service personel.

It seems that someone had jumped or fallen off Putney bridge and drifted downstream. A gardener working in front of my flat called the emergency services. A helicopter had landed on the 'beach' within a hundred yards of my flat. That in itself would have been quite a sight.

All my neighbours said 'Did you get some good shots, Tony?'. I was carrying my camera but, by about fifteen minutes, I'd missed the full drama.

The odd thing is that I am glad.

Glad because if I'd had the shots I would not have known what to do with them. I cannot believe the answer is to phone one's favourite newspaper or maybe the BBC and simply hand them over. The one thing I have learnt in life is that you don't negotiate fees retrospectively.

OK, it was not a 'celeb' who was in the river - but, talking to my neighbours, the action was pretty spectacular. The shots must have been worth something. Or maybe not?

What would you experts have done?

Tony

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow