Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,996Gear list
Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 19, 2013

Most likely there is too many companies making cameras especially considering the impact that smartphone are having on the low-end camera market.  It does seem like the money is going to be at the high-end market.  Fuji just might be right in positioning their cameras at the mid to high end.  MTF (Olympus and Panasonic) is trying to have something for everyone.  They first started and got a good line-up for the low end cameras and lenses for p&s users wanting to upgrade.  They are now moving up spec with cameras like the E-M5 and GH5 plus those wonderful but expensive lenses.  So they should do all right especilly if they continue to expand the cameras and lenses up-spec, since the low-spec gear is being replace by smartphones.

Canon didn't do too well with their EOS-M camera system.  Maybe the super small EOS-B system will do better.  Without seeing and handling the body and lenses I don't know how the egronomics will be.  I really expect it to be mostly a menu tough-screen body, which I personally don't like.  The lenses I expect to be rather slow to keep the size down.  Lens selection will be good considering that it should take all of the current Canon lenses.  Still those lenses will be kind of large compared to the body. Now would the new EOS-B camera system get people to upgrade from their p&s camera or downgrade from their larger dslr cameras is a very big question that will only be answered after the system is on the market for a while.  For me I think the camera will not be enough for the P&s users to upgrade and the camera will lack the ergonomics for the dslr users to buy for their second camera.  Then again I could be wrong.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow