Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,229
Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 19, 2013

I follow Thom's blogs and enjoy his insight, but I don't see eye to eye with him on this one.  The camera appears to be marketed to the consumer; the Rebel buying crowd, as well as a possible second body for those wanting a compact alternative to a bigger DSLR.  (If you own a 7D, instead of picking up a second ILC system, an EOS-B might be a good option).  But what about lenses ?  With an 18-55, it's not going to be compact.  Canon doesn't even offer (AFAIK) a modern APS-C normal (like the Nikon & Sony 35/1.8).  The 40mm pancake isn't terribly interesting on APS-C.  So does a compact EOS body buy you a lot ?  And outside of second-body buyers, does the average Rebel buyer really care that much about the breadth of the EOS lens system ?  18-55 & 55-200 are what most want.

Size-wise, it's close to the Sony A33/A55 which were cute little cameras, but still bigger than NEX by a noticable bit; this wins primarily on depth (presumably due to a grip as it needs the lens mount, and once you add a lens, it's going to be as deep as any other DSLR.

I'm sure it will sell, and it might steal a few sales from mirrorless makers, but I don't see it as a game changer in any way.

Here are a couple pictures showing the A33 with a modest lens versus NEX - the A33 is about 1/4" wider than the EOS-B rumor says, and a big deeper, primarily due to the grip and the EVF extension.

With a compact 28/2 attached.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow