Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,381Gear list
Like?
The love affair is over ...
Mar 19, 2013

I've sold my Olympus Four Thirds gear.  The E-30.  The E-510.  The E-420.  My 14-54 Mark II.  My 14-42.  My 40-150.  My 28mm f/2.8.  My 50-200.  My 50 macro.

I loved and enjoyed all of these cameras and lenses.  I will miss the gear, and I will miss using the gear.  Using this stuff was practically effortless.  The images were terrific, with a clarity and color accuracy that's hard to match.  Sharpness was never elusive, no matter which camera and lens combination.  The 40-150, for which I paid all of $90, was the sleeper of the decade.  Totally sharp and rich and accurate.

So why did I end the relationship?  I think you already know the answer: image quality beyond the higher ISOs.  The Olympus DSLRs are some of the best "good light/bright light" cameras ever made.  But, as Big GA has posted, these cams are way behind the times at anything over ISO 400.  I reached the moment where I simply couldn't see the point of carrying around a complete Olympus kit PLUS one of my Canon bodies and lenses for those low light shots without flash.  It's as simple as that.

Of the 3 cameras, I enjoyed the E-420 the most.  Light.  Sharp.  Rich color.  Amazing at base ISO with the 14-54.  Of the 3 cameras, the one I enjoyed the least was the E-30.  I never really bonded with that camera.  And I didn't like its JPEG tone curve.

Besides the color, what I will miss most about using the Olympus gear is the edge-to-edge performance.  My APS-C and full frame Canons are prone to losing quite a bit of detail at the edges, and even my favorite L lenses tend to "smear" the extreme borders.

But I can shoot at ISO 3200 and up without concern.  ISO 1600 on my 40D is like ISO 400 on the E-420.

So there you have it.  We've gone our separate ways, Olympus and I ... but I'll never forget the good times we had together.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'

— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-30 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
mpeman MOD
carizi MOD
mpeman MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow