How bad is Epson 4900/7900 clogging?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: Starting to understand Epson 4900/7900 clogging?
In reply to erichK, Mar 19, 2013

erichK wrote:

It appears that these really are printers mainly for continuous use, while my 3880 is a better low- volume printer. This may be why a friend in professional graphic production background loves the 9900 she uses in her production environment, while others have a terrible time with ink clogs.

Obviously, printers that will take ink tanks with nearly a quart of ink are really meant for a high level of use. While one exhaustively detailed report (a video, if memory serves) outlines possible design flaws with such items as tiny nozzle wipers, it seems that the Epson printhead assemblies have few problems in such environments, as the larger size and the heavy weight and build of the 4900 and 7900 tens to indicate.

I can well remember Epson's apparent reluctance to produce their x900 new inkset and head design for a 17" model. Clogging in printheads really designed for constant use when they are intermittently used in studio or even home environment may well have been a consideration. Of course Epson should be more up-front about such things, but after all the outstanding customer support I've received from them - and all the excellent prints my 3880 has helped me produce - I find it hard to blame them too much.

For now, looking for a roll-feed (though preferably also vaccum-fed) preferably 24" printer for a home studio, the Canon 24" printers do seem the way to go. But a 24" version of the 3880 would be an attractive option indeed.

Personally, i'm tired of manufacturers hiding behind the "meant for continuous use" excuse.

If a product is designed to correctly and reliably function only with continuous "daily" use, then it better darn well be obvious to me before I buy it.  Between my Epson 4900 and a Xerox Phaser Solid ink printer I bought years back, I was blamed for not using the device enough and that was the cause of printer quality issues and malfunctions.  Neither manufacturer warned the consumer before purchase that daily, regular use is required for the product to continue to perform normally.

It seems pretty clear the 4900 has issues yet Epson won't come forward and just "man-up" about them.  Given the craziness of the clogs I've experienced on the 4900, I'm not sure they are physical clogs as much as possible electronics issues.  The nozzles are fired electronically, right?  It's feasible that the problem is electronic and not a physical clog?

Currently, I just keep doing my daily nozzle check prints and keep the unit from going to sleep and so far everything is good.  I recall a few months back, though, that an entire ink color just stopped printing in the middle of a print, even though everything was normal with my nozzle checks, etc., before printing.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow