Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure basics, lesson two point one (& ISO)
In reply to Anders W, Mar 19, 2013

Anders W wrote:

texinwien wrote:

A note about my standard E-M5 usage practices - I always used spot-metering. I usually use aperture priority mode with ISO 200 in well-lit situations. I use either shutter priority mode or manual mode either with fixed ISO of my choice or Auto ISO limited to 1600. I also try to ETTR whenever I have the time to be deliberate. My subjective gut feeling is that I almost always have a good deal of room to add +EV - often well over a full EV.

It doesn't take much time to be deliberate pretty much all the time tex. I hardly ever meter in the conventional sense any more after getting the E-M5. The live view "blinkies" (highlight warnings) will tell me not only when but also where things will clip and most of the time I simply go by that. I use spot metering on the highlights for the few cases where the highlight warnings don't work quite the way they should. If the DR of the scene is such (decided by my guts feeling) that preserving all the highlights I'd like to preserve will make the shadows excessively noisy, I choose one of the following options depending on what is possible given the subject and the light conditions: a) let some of the highlights go, b) use exposure bracketing and select the best in PP or merge/align in PP, or c) shoot a burst at the same exposure and merge/align in PP.

I'll suggest a stronger version of Anders' statement: metering in the conventional sense is essentially obsolete now that we have live blinkies.

There are some possible limits, as Anders points out, including issues of blowing single channels or how accurately the blinkies show clipping (or shadow blocking).

If we are in a typical situation, what would be the advantage of conventional metering, especially multi-pattern metering, over using live blinkies?

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow