A Strange Barcelona setting (7 similar pics, looking for best 2)

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,709
Like?
I'm glad that was helpful + LINK
In reply to deuler, Mar 19, 2013

deuler wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

I wanted to write comments between the images but that did not work: I kept deleting the images.

So I"ll write my brief comments here, in order of the images below.

(1) good composition on the background, though the right building is dangerously close to the frame edge. People are clear, though it would have been a good idea to wear either darker or brighter clothes that do not blend in so much with the background. The green is a blessing.

(2) Same on the background, though not quite as close to the edge. That's better. Turning away from the camera creates more story : what are they looking at that is out there.

(3) OK, you joined them, and the group of kids walking between you and the camera is a fun factor, but they get in the way just too much.

(4) Same idea, but better : the passers-by add life without getting in the way (at least not of the three main people : the kid on the left side is a bit overpowering the leftside building). Three main subjects echo the three buildings. This is the best one so far.

(5) Another relationship of equal numbers : two persons and two buildings. Works well too. Getting down from the ledge has a benefit : there is no more cutting in half of the persons by the top of the railing. However, getting down from the ledge is not a real solution, because now the cutting-off happens at the knees. So: good try but no go.

(6) and (7) are variations of (2) and are better because of the three-three ratio. Of these two last ones, the first is the best because of the position of the heads of baby and wife : more separation.

I would go with (6) and (4) : threesome looking away and lonely and then looking at us and surrounded by life.

Hi Roel,

Thank you for your astute and well articulated feedback. Your observations regarding composition and with regards to frame edges and building to subject ratios are clearly rational and appeal to a sense of logic which is difficult to refute.

Thanks.

Narrative, on the other hand, is subjective

I agree

- although i do agree with many of your points; 'green being a blessing', 'looking away from the camera',

I tried to be as concise as possible: not always easy for me...

but most of all i appreciate the fact that you took the time to review the images and came to a final conclusion regarding which two images work the best and how they create a sense of story telling when paired. Your final statement was: "I would go with (6) and (4) : threesome looking away and lonely and then looking at us and surrounded by life."

Well, that really is my opinion and it unites two images and makes them stand out from the pack;

Thanks again for taking the time to respond with such insightful commentary. I'd be happy to return the favour, keep me posted and do share your work. You can find me on Flickr at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidbuddenhagen/

I'll take a look.

My webpages are here : www.roelh.zenfolio.com

You will find a very broad variety of shots (I daresay: something for everybody there).  Take your pick on what you want to look at.

I also post images and stuff for C&C on several DPR Forums.

This is a most recent effort and if you really have the time, all feedback is welcome:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51094659

But don't feel obliged : it was my pleasure to try and figure out what appealed in your shots and then to try and express that.  Doing that is always helpful for myself too.  It forces me to be conscious about images.

Cheers to you David,

from Roel.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow