D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600S model

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 price drop soon. Also to be replaced by new D600S model
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 19, 2013

Dcjones wrote:

Some background, I am not here to troll as some have accused me of. I am just here to research my next camera. I am trying to figure all this out like the rest of you. I have been reading about this issue and struck up a conversation with a local camera rep about this dust problem who basically said not to buy the D600 and wait until the problem is fixed. I don’t know how much he knows; weather he is BSing me or not but his intentions seemed sincere.

Just think about it, put yourself in Nikon’s shoes for a minute. You have a camera (the D600) that has an obvious flaw in the majority of the units; of which the flaw is VERY WELL KNOWN and your customer base is growing more and more angry and are sending in their cameras for services at your expense. Your choices are following:

1. Continue to produce a camera that a majority of the units will comeback for either repetitive cleaning until the warranty is done (at Nikon’s expense), or an expensive shutter replacement (at Nikon’s expense). Both of which will probably negate the profit margin of the unit while also reducing the demand for the product. And at the same time take a hit to your reputation. Would you want to continue to produce these units? Anybody with an ounce of business sense would not keep manufacturing this product and work on a fix.

2. Or would you alter the design of the units? If it was an easy “fix” like a Quality control issue, Nikon would have already done it and the new units would not be “dusting” -- but they are. It does seem like more drastic measures are needed so according to this guy, they are most likely working on an update such as a “refresh D600s.”

The road to hell is paved with "sincere intentions"...

Unfortunately much of what you mention above could apply to issues with the D800 and there has been no word of a replacement.

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow