qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,483Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to schmegg, Mar 19, 2013

schmegg wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Peter does - he continues to claim that a 5D out-resolves an 18MP crop.

I'm busy at the moment so unable to reply in details. Nevertheless please don't twist what I said.

Would you agree that you said that in almost all cases the 5D out-resolves an 18MP crop. I can only recall you mentioning the 300/2.8 IS L II as an exception.

Yes but based on what lenses I used to have and according to DXOMark.

I said clearly throughout posts in many threads that depend on lenses. With all lenses I have before such as 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS...yes 5Dc does outresolve 60D.

No - it doesn't. And so far, from what we can tell from the comparison you posted, your own testing confirms this.

Yes from both DXOMark and from my own tests. My own tests actually confirm what DXOMark tests.

I guess you are still in that river in Egypt then.

I have some new lenses now such as 24-70L II and 70-200L II and I will do more tests later. With 24-70L II we can see they are very close and I also want to see with 70-200L II. I believe it's more meaningful to test resolution from a distance at least 50X focus length (outdoor tests are more meaningful in real world photos) not in very close distance (24-70L II is not a macro lens anyway for example). As I said DXOMark might use AVERAGE MTF resolution to calculate its P-MPix number. From so far what I have seen, I don't have indications that DXOMark tests are wrong and actually I think pretty reflect what I have found.

So you still refuse to provide the same detail to each sensor to see which one resolves more?

As the old proverb says .. "The truth is like a door, and you yourself must choose to enter"

Once again - DxO are conducting lens sharpness tests, not comparing the resolving abilities of different sized sensors.

It's not. DXOMark P-MPix is based on MTF data. I happen save some old DXOMark tests snapshots in MFT that shows 5Dc with 24-105L outresolves with 7D.

The door bill was taken in very close distance (macro mode) just outside the min focus distance, and still is only a very small center area (while I cropped out all 2/3 outer areas). Outside tests in the school park for example is more meaningful to represent real world photos. It's just too far away to see the details clearly at 38mm FF focus length on the schoold building that is 150-200 meters away.  Next time as I said I will test just cross the building from 30 meters away to see clearly. Even I upsampling 5D photo to 60D's size with 24-70L II, I can see they are pretty the same in center but 5D is sharper and at least has the same details at sides, and 5D photo is cleaner and much less CA. DXOMark's only give 1 P-MPix difference with 24-70L II between two cameras and they might use average MTF resolution cross entire frame (center, mid-range, edges and corners) to calculate P-MPix, and I believe their results are accurate. You see with 70-200L/4.0 IS that narrow down the building much "closer" we can see 5D is obviously better (as I said there is absolutely no mis-focus issues from 60D that only enjoys advantage thru precise 10x LV MF and I also tried AF).

Here is their testing protocol ... please take note of the target and then explain how this enables them to determine the resolving abilities of different sized sensors.

I await your enlightenment!

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow