Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 8,177
Re: Handling and IQ vs speed and features
In reply to 3systermuser, Mar 19, 2013

3systermuser wrote:

funny Fuji , the practical real life IQ of the Fuji is not any better than that of the OM-D based system.

Practical? Sorry but in my subjective view there's no comparison. And there's no DXOmark comparison either, but I'm comparing back to back with a D600, which is no slouch, and a D7000, which it completely dominates.

IQ should be evaluated as a whole system and MFT has much better selection of better primes , thus the OM-D system might win over the Fuji based system in many FLs.

Not in the wide angles I like, and the Fuji lineup is still growing. The "excellent" lenses on the MFT cameras are often at focal lengths I never use. However the new 14 2.8 on the Fuji is really excellent.

and do not forget slow and inaccurate aF of the X-E1 makes its PRACTICAL real life IQ can be worse.

This is just such a non-issue. I haven't had a focus miss since the latest two firmware revisions, and it's easily fast enough for what I do with it. And anyone who says the OMD doesn't miss focus clearly hasn't used one much. Neither can track moving objects worth a damn, but that's why I own a D600 in the first place.

and to get the same DOF at the same shutter speed , Fuji has to to crank up ISO or OM-D gets faster SS, so naturally deeper DOF at aperture to aperture of the OM-D can be good.

Er, sorry - that's just nonsense. Unless of course you are working in the dark. For most uses, the subject isolation on the Fuji is in a different class (esp with the 35 and 60) and high ISO is far superior.

I'm really happy if you like your OMD, I never said it was a bad camera, but just to be clear, I spent quite a bit of time using my friends version, and it is close to unusable for anyone with hands my size. But we are all different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow