Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
rockygag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141
Like?
Re: Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5
In reply to pavinder, Mar 19, 2013

I have and X Pro 1 and and and OMD.

In he studio, the Fuji is the clear winner.

Out and about, it is a different story.  My kids surf.  No way to use the Fuji with AF.  My kids do swim team, if I try really hard, I could do it with the Fuji.

Street, a bit of a toss up.

Travel, I like a wide zoom, for the moment, the Fuji is a non starter.

As to IQ, almost all my stuff is printed at 8X10, and for all practical purposes, the IQ is the same.  Some of the very high contrast stuff that I do in the studio favors the fuji, but in the long run, the OM-D is just fine.  Neither comes even close to the Mamiya Phase One P30+ that I sold off.

As to DOF, I know what really shallow DOF is, and with care, the OM-D can deliver what I need.  For portraiture, I like both Nose and Eyes in focus, and that means the 45 1.8 is just fine.

My true sports work has suffered in terms of subject isolation since moving to m-43rds to shoot it.  However, most of this is destined for the web, and showing parents that their kids were actually in the race, not documenting one athlete for Sports Illustrated.   I don't miss the D300/70-200 2.8 weight at all.  Nothing is free however!

Hope that helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow