Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
bob5050
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to Jake64, Mar 19, 2013

Jake64 wrote:

My question is, why do people choose Pentax over big hitters like Nikon and Canon?

Nothing new here, but for me it really came down to what the reviews were saying, and what vibes I felt lurking in this forum.

The reviews tended to mention the special features that meant a lot to me: low-light performance, WR, build quality, fast AF. the pentaprism VF. Those seemed to be things one should value and want, and areas where the Pentaxes were rated either as-good-as-any or distinctive.

They also mentioned the lack of a dedicated movie button, external mic port, articulated back screen--all, in my view, nice-to-haves but obviously secondary. (I'm a viewfinder shooter--and often with my prior camera just turned the back display off.) And in a way their absence was attractive: meaning the product is focused, not just trying to check as many boxes as possible.

So Pentax didn't appear to be trying to be all things to all people. The main Pentax lines (the K-30 and K-5II seemed pretty straightforward photographers cameras that understood what mattered, and what didn't, and were willing to be defined by that.

Then there was this forum--where Pentax owners just seemed to be happy with them to a greater extent than I was seeing in some of the other forums. When you wander into a room full of owners, some experienced, some new, and you don't sense much buyers regret, that means something. The experienced users seemed welcoming and helpful, and so they've since proven.

So bought my K-30. Probably went over my 30 day return period a week or two ago, and never even occurred to me to think about sending it back. Still have a bunch to learn, but feels natural in my hand and like I made the right choice for me.

bob

bob5050's gear list:bob5050's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Olympus C-5050 Zoom Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow