Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers

Started Mar 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,966
Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 19, 2013

Interesting how he positions the introduction of the G1X, EOS-M and then the EOS-B as a strength, as if Canon is executing some kind of pincer attack.   My view of it from here (with no actual investment in any mirrorless system nor Canon DSLRs) is that the G1X and EOS-M failed to meet their expectations, so now they're trying the EOS-B as yet another "downsizing" strategy to see if it will work.   To me it looks more like thrashing around to find something that will get traction in the market than a well-executed plan.  I've yet to see the signs of commitment to the EOS-M system that would persuade me to buy one.

By contrast, Olympus and Panasonic seem to have a clear strategy - introduce a system that's well positioned between high-end, heavy & bulky cameras and low-end P&S, develop it to its full potential, and siphon off users from both sides.   I think their only real mistake so far is in focusing on people who might want to upscale from below and underestimating how many   existing APS-C users might be tempted to downsize.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow