Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,258
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 19, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Might do later. however since my Sigma 150/2.8 OS is a prime so I have to adjust distance between 5D3/5D to 60D to frame into the same AOV as in real world I'd do on a flower for example.

The test involves rendering a very finely detailed subject at 1:1 magnification - that is what macro is.

To do this, you will need to set the lens at the minimum focus distance and then photograph the subject with both cameras to record it at 1:1 magnification.

This way the detail you present for each sensor to record will be identical - and from this it should be easy to see which sensor is able to resolve more of the same available detail, and hence, which camera resolves more detail.

Old Canon 100/2.8 macro (just sold more than I bought, same for 50/1.4 and 17-40L as all those lenses I bought in Dec 2007 - 1st half year of 2008) test shots on 10mp 1D3. I remember you used to try to compare from your old 50D.

Someone else? I've never owned a 50D.

My ones are obviously sharper I believe you cannot separate sharpness from resolution as you cannot separate details from noise. They are related.

I've tried to explain this to you many times now, but, as I've failed on every occasion, I'll have another go ...

Yes - they are related. Sharpness depends on resolution and acutance.

It's possible to have low resolution and high acutance and end up with an image that is perceived to be sharp even though it actually resolves less detail. That's what you have with a 5D compared to a 60D, where the resolution is higher but the acutance is lower.

The big difference between resolution and acutance is that resolution is set at capture time and can only ever be decreased. Increasing resolution after capture involves "inventing" detail ... that is, having a guess at what might have been there.

Acutance, on the other hand, can be altered after capture time by re-sampling to a lower resolution (for instance, 18MP to 12MP) and by post processing sharpening algorithms.

Many feel that it's better to capture with more resolution and lower acutance as the lower acutance can be recovered effectively to a great degree during post processing.

Of course, even better is to capture with high resolution and high acutance. And that's exactly what Canon's 20-odd MP full frame sensors are very good at.

I hope that's the last time I have to type that for you!

Nice, but they aren't really macro photos, just close-ups.

Here's another not-macro, this one from a crop ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow