Memory (RAM) Speed

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
GideonW
Contributing MemberPosts: 813
Like?
Re: Memory (RAM) Speed
In reply to Michael Firstlight, Mar 19, 2013

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Of course I OC every CPU I get to the max; my new build will be water cooled like my last one (using an H100i). I'm not seeking faster RAM sticks for performance, but want to be sure what I do get doesn't inhibit my ability to max the OCing of the CPU. I've always understood that Intel MOBs need 1.5v (max) sticks and to stay away from 1.65v sticks for Intel rigs. Is that true or a wives tale and might the new 1150 MOBs support 1.65v RAM?

I am afraid going with 1600 RAM will limit my ability to OC a Haswell CPU. Will using say, 1866 or 2133 RAM be less of a limitation when OCing or at least, make it easier to push that CPU to the max? I recall I had to up my BCLK rather than the multiplier to get my P6T MOB to properly OC to 4GHz and I set my RAM to XMP mode (which I much prefer to do), but I don't think late model MOBs require OCing by raising the BCLK and instead need only increase the multiplier which I don't believe impacts the southbridge/RAM speed. Is that correct?

Regards,
Mike

OCing with newer Intel CPUs involves increasing the multiplier and leaving the BCLK alone. While you can sometimes increase the BCLK slightly, it's not going to get you very far compared to multiplier overclocking. So no need to buy faster RAM.

As for the voltage, I'd go with 1.5V. There is no reason to go with 1.65V, it uses more power, produces more heat and has more chance of compatibility issues since 1.5V is the standard for DDR3-RAM.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow