Like?
Re: Time is running out for Samsung, Sony, and other mirrorless camera makers
In reply to Shirozina, Mar 19, 2013

Shirozina wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

... to establish a stronghold before the elephants come a trampling

This is from Thom Hogan's blog

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/dancing-with-elephants.html

The big boys has made their preparation and may soon respond in a big way. First they discount heavily their lower end DSLR products and now it seems their secret mirrorless weapons are about ready.

Samsung, Sony and Panasonic at least have the advantage over Canon and Nikon in that cameras and lenses are only a tiny part of their manufacturing output and income so they can afford to go toe to toe with them in sales discounts and marketing wars with a much bigger fighting fund from their main product range. To call Canon and Nikon 'Big boys' is ludicrous.

I think you actually knew what I meant, that they are big boys in terms of camera business or more precisely non-commercial consumer still camera business. Canikon have around 80% of the camera market, so big they are big boys if they each have 8 or more times the market share. I can't see Samsung sinking in heaps of fund into a tiny part of their business that do not seem to be making inroads from their tiny patches. You were right though, this camera business is a tiny for them, and therefore more like a little toy or unimportant project. If Samsung had wanted to do more in the serious camera market, it could have done so and made its presence felt already given its resources. As for Sony and Panasonic, they are bleeding badly financially speaking even at the broader corporate level, and are in a much weaker position to subsidise their camera divisions. IMO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow