5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?
Re: 5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Mar 19, 2013

Thanks for the responses thus far...you know you think you write a good post, but then it ends up missing important stuff.

I've been shooting with lights, mostly video hot lights and off camera flash (430 ex II w/ umbrella), there are a couple of examples below.  It would be a move to a much better light system, and yeah I know it's 1 big light, but the Einstein seems like a good do everything light for 1 light setups and maybe triggering the 430 for a hair/background light.  It's got the juice to handle outdoor harsh light situations and large groups while being able to be turned down enough for when doing shoots that only need a little extra light.  And I'd need a fairly portable system, so I was thinking of a 1 light setup with a rather large octabox or maybe a PLM.

The 7D is a great camera, very capable, and I didn't like the 5D2 in comparison, but other than price the 5D3 seems a win in almost every way....but price is an issue, of course.  I'm aware too that I would need a trigger system for my 430 if I go with the 5D3, as there is no pop-up flash commander (sad, really).

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful as this is proving a difficult decision.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow