Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Re: Please, Please, Tell Me More!
In reply to mistermejia, Mar 19, 2013

it appears you have some good glass - 35 1.8 and 85 1.4 - to be honest, I'm not sure it makes much sense to switch to Pentax given what you have already.  there would be the advantage of having shake reduction for your primes, but financially you'll take a hit.  To get something comparable, you'll probably end up with Pentax lenses like the DA35 2.4 (a bit slower, but sharper wide open) and the FA77 1.8 (also slower, but it's got some magic to it - one of my favorite lenses).  So the 35 2.4 would be around $220, but the FA77 costs around $800.  As an alternative, there's a manual focus Samyang that can be had for not too much and it's very sharp.

So only you can do the calculus and see if a switch would make sense.

But I would suggest that how the camera feels in your hands is one of the most important things - you owe it to yourself to handle one and see if it sings to you.  I know mine does to me and it's a beautiful thing.  If there aren't stores in your area, maybe post on pentax forums . com and see if someone could meet you or suggest a store that might have one.

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow