ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NWWayne
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
I found problem with lens adapters
Mar 19, 2013

Hi,

I got my new NEX 6 a few days ago. I also made an order from Rainbow Imagining for an Olympus Pen-F and a Topcon adapter for my old film camera  lenses. I also ordered the simple, 2 button IR remote, even though I had heard that some of these low cost remotes worked poorly - for $1.99 I had to try. By the way, be sure to look at the rainbow web site before ordering from Amazon or Ebay, some prices are different.
After the camera arrived and I worked with it and the kit lenses a bit, I tried the adapters and my old lenses. The adapters fit the camera and the lenses nicely and locked on properly, and they're well enough made. All my lenses focused to infinity so the adapter thicknesses are  correct. I was pleased to find that the remote worked at a distance of up to 30 feet which is adequate for my needs. I did notice that the index markings on both lenses did not line up quite right with the NEX body but they were not so far off as to be a problem.... I thought. 
But then I decided to try the NEX on my Topcon dual rail bellows for some macro shots and to copy a few slides. Thats when I realized that the relatively small (about 8 degrees) error in the adapter rotary alignment was indeed a problem. The tilt of the camera would not allow it to clear the rail on the bellows. 
Since both adapters showed a misalignment I suspect this error may also be present in other Rainbow adapters for the NEX. If you are going to use the adapter with typical small lenses there is no problem at all. If you plan to use a telephoto with a fixed position tripod mount, use bellows similar to mine, or use anything else where alignment is important you need to be aware of the problem. I did not try to return the adapter, so I don't know how that would have gone. 
It appeared easier to modify the Topcon adapter only, to correct the problem than to try to return the adapter. I have not found a situation where I need to modify the Pen F adapter, but if needed it can be modified in a similar manner. I disassembled the adapter, removing the lens  mounting plate. I then drilled four new holes in the body of the adapter, offset in the correct direction and amount, and tapped them for the screws.
Alignment is now correct using the Topcon adapter so I can use the Topcon bellows.
NWWayne

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow