D90 v D5100 or other?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Re: D90 v D5100 or other?
In reply to ehmalone, Mar 19, 2013

It depends on how good a deal you can get on a used D90, and on how well the two cameras "fit" you personally.

A few years back, I was in a position similar to yours: I was looking to move from my lumix FZ28 bridge camera to a dSRL, and was trying to decide between the Nikon D3100 and D5000. I ended up getting a D90 - spending more than I had originally planned - partly because it had a better viewfinder but mostly because it felt so good in my hands.

The more I use my D90, and the more I learn about it, the happier I am that I made that choice. I think I'd still pick the D90 over the D5100 or D5200, especially if I could get the D90 at a lower price. But that's me.

I'll second the recommendation of going to a store and picking both of them up. If one of them says "this is the one" to you, then that's your choice. Other than that, it depends on what is important to you. More megapixels? D5100. More accessable controls to twiddle? D90. Better video? D5100. Better ability to use off-camera flash? D90. And so on.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow