Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,640Gear list
Like?
I rate the probability of this info to be correct at 0.001%
In reply to Dcjones, Mar 19, 2013

Dcjones wrote:

I was talking to a Nikon sales rep. today that seems to know some inside info .

We get threads which starts with this kind of statements from time to time. I know what to make of them from experience:

I'm about to read some "insider info" which is never going to happen.

on the goings on with the D600. He thinks that Nikon is going to sweep the current dust issue under the rug by replacing the D600 with an "upgraded" D600S model that will be announced soon.

He thinks is the revealing word. Nikon sales rep are told nothing about future products until they about to happen. And they are really bad at predicting whatever move Nikon is about to make. So indeed what we're reading is pure speculation and not even a plausible one (but true enough you're not the first one who's been told fairy tales by a sales rep).

That will fix the dust issue but have some upgrades to "save face" like the CAM3500, and 1/8000 shutter speed. This will make the new camera be distinctly different than the old D600 so they can quietly discontinue the D600. They will then keep the D600S at the same price drop the old D600 price to clear the stock and then discontinue them.

If that sales rep knew anything he would be under NDA and would keep his mouth shut. Even if Nikon had internally announced the D600s, no company would ever tell its employees such things as "save face", "quietly discontinue the D600" etc.  the fact that he can make that kind of comments tell a lot about his credibility. He was just trying to impress you playing Mr. I'm deep into Nikon's secrets.

It seems that they can not fix the issue with dust in current D600. Even the new units are experiencing the issues even after they acknowledged that it is prone to "dusting." There is obviously a design flaw that precludes a simple fix.

Another speculation.

On 2nd though I re-rate the plausibility of the whole story at 0.000000001%.

Don't get too excited.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow