Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,127
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to schmegg, Mar 18, 2013

schmegg wrote:

MAC wrote:

Photozone correctly says -- 11 times they say it on one page -- you can't compare their numbers across different formats

Correct - partially because the detail present at the sensor plane is different due to the tests begin conducted at different distances. The very thing the macro test eliminates!

When I compare with those sites -- I stay in the same format

Me too. Anyone who doesn't is making a mistake - though telling them this often proves incredibly difficult! Hehe!

PZ makes that claim, but, in my opinion, it's a CYA move. Basically, Klaus is saying that different RAW conversions were used, so cross-system comparisons are not valid. However, in my opinion, it's pretty easy to normalize for this by sharpening the output consistently across systems, as opposed to using default settings or "sharpening off" (when we all know that "sharpening off" doesn't always mean "no sharpening").

In other words, while the numbers may not be exactly comparable, they will, in my opinion, likely be quite close (say within 10%, and I would be suprised if someone could see the difference, for example, between a photo that resolved 2700 lw/ph and a photo that resolved 3000 lw/ph, even at the pixel level, much less care about the differences even if they could).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow