Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: I LOVE my d600
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 18, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

sd40 wrote:

A career managing a business where we produced something real instead of imagery taught me that stuff happens, get some perspective and be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree and certainly one has to be rational and pragmatic otherwise life will just pass you by. I've owned countless products (many were quite expensive) and none were ever perfect. Either it was a production issue, a QC issue, or a design issue. But I learned to live with any shortcomings because the overall experience was better than never experiencing the product at all. The more people worry about every issue (big or small, real or imagined) the more they will be giving up on certain rewards. e..g., driving a 1970s British sports car is still incredibly fun despite the notorious poor reliability. It's a shame to not be able experience that due only to the fear of it possibly breaking down. In general, I think many people tend to be a lot wimpier about things these days; many will never take the initiative to either DIY or just deal with what ever might come up.

I have a D600 and it has a debris issue. I'll never send it to Nikon, that's a waste of time, effort, and expense on my part. I'll just clean it myself (takes only a few minutes and is so easy to do.) I've had to wet clean it several times so far, but overall the camera has served its purpose for my needs (a high pixel count back up body to my D3s.) The IQ is excellent and it was only $2k (considering it's as good in IQ as the D3x which was almost $9k when new in 2008.) At first I considered the issue a real PITA but then simply telling myself that I can live with it solved it all for me......

My Leica M3 and my D80 are perfect, both to this day. The D7000 has a few small issues. I haven't changed, the cameras seem to be going downhill from where I stand.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

fwiw, I've owned Leicas since I was 17 years old. I still use the M4 and M6 classic (non-TTL.) But Leica is not perfect.  There are many known issues and one major one with M3/M2 cameras is the use of balsamic glue in the rangefinder optics.  I hope that your M3 never separates.  Just try not to set it down too hard, because it may start to separate.  The fix is very expensive and normally requires a donor M3 camera.  In addition, while the M3 is a well built camera it's really more about Leica mythology than practical everyday real world use, imho.  There are no 35mm frame lines and loading the camera is laborious (don't lose that take up spool!)  The M4 was a dramatic improvement in real world use.  A more current M6 makes even more sense (or the currently produced MP.)  The M3 is great but in general it's really more for geeks who like cool retro stuff.

The M6 has issues with the light meter primarily due to bad solder joints.  It's relatively common to need a fix (one of the LEDs will go out.)  There are other numerous niggling issues with a Leica rangefinder primarily due to its design (the rangefinder optics while good, are somewhat archaic now.)

The M9 has had its issues, too (and pretty major ones.)  SD card problems, sensor cover glass cracking, tripod mount stressing the body shell (they changed the base plate completely with the new M240 so it doesn't happen anymore.)  And of course we all know of the IR sensitivity issue with the M8 when it was introduced (and the "coffee stain" LCD problem can no longer be fixed since they ran out of replacement parts.)  I will give Leica a big thumbs up for excellent customer service, despite the design and build issues. Maybe the new M240 will be error-free (?)

I've never owned a D80 so I can't comment, but it's a disposable consumer electronic device and it's past its end of life.  It will get thrown away eventually.  It's obsolete (yes, still useable but there are better ways of doing things now; this is 2013. That's really what obsolescence means.)

I still stand by my opinion that all products suffer some sort of issues sometime in their life, whether it's in production or overall design.  Porsche, Mercedes, Toyota, Canon, Leica, Nikon.  Etc., etc..  (e.g., the Porsche 993 was the last of the air cooled 'old school' Porsches, but it suffers from SAI port issues which was a design flaw for the USA import version.  Porsche also had major RMS and IMS issues with the 996. Mercedes suffered big time QC especially with the W210 and W211 models. And if you own a later E90 BMW then you know what HPFP means. But they are all still great cars and enjoyable to drive; just be prepared....)

In general the overall use value and enjoyment of many products more often than not overshadows most of the issues inherent with them.  And overall, products are getting better and not worse (esp with reliability; cars used to break down a lot more than they do today, etc..)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow