Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob6771
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Quandry: G5 vs EPL 5 vs Fuji x20
Mar 18, 2013

Please, I need a new perspective on which camera to buy and have gone back and forth with the noted cameras.

I currently own a GH1 with the 14x140 lens, a LX3 and a ZS3.

Photographing on the water landscapes and people that I'm fishing with in a boat on a million acre Canadian lake in calm and adverse conditions is important to me and the reason of this post.

I don't feel comfortable taking the GH1 with me in the boat primarily because of the bulky 14x140 lens and I also I plan to sell the lens. I have no other lenses for my GH1.

If I purchase a  G5 or EPL 5 I would welcome the stock lens that comes with the camera. It is unlikely that I would buy another lens.  I'm enamored by the EPL 5's sensor but the lack of built in viewfinder is a serious disadvantage in the lake environment  Also, I'm wearing wrap around polarized prescription sunglasses and with the LX3 and ZS3 there is a problem in using the LCD.

Also, I photograph birds (not in flight) in dense brush and the GH1 hunts for focus to the extent that I often use manual focus. So my new camera if I go with the EPL 5 or G5 needs to overcome that problem.

I seldom print and have never printed larger than 8x10.  Possibly would print a 11x13.

From the DXO marks the G5 seems close to the GH1 which is disappointing as I was hoping for a more up to date sensor with better dynamic range .  What the difference between the GH 1 and G5 sensor in real life I don't know.

The X20 is high on my list because of the viewfinder and the fast lens.  But I'm enamored (perhaps irrationally) for the EPL5 because of its' sensor.

Another option is to wait for the (supposedly) G7 this spring.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow