MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
dark13star
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
Re: MAC users, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4?
In reply to ROFLOL, Mar 18, 2013

I started with Aperture, but moved to Lightroom at version 2. Aperture was slow back then and Lightroom was actually faster. My biggest concern though was making my RAW library more future proof. I'm an Apple stock holder and have a house full of Apple devices, but Apple is a hardware company and I just couldn't be sure they would stick with Aperture. So far they have, and that is great, but Adobe is really committed to digital photography as part of its business model. I now use DNG because it is more portable between systems and am really happy with the advancements in Lightroom 4.

Another advantage is the huge community of users. When I need a lens profile, someone probably made one and shared it. When I need a preset, same thing. When I need help, someone has the answer.

The disadvantage is that Lightroom is not integrated with the other Apple apps, but I have a simple solution to that. After I'm finished processing in Lightroom, I have a saved workflow to export jpegs to iPhoto. That way I keep two versions of every photo, the RAW and the digital print, or jpeg. Having them in iPhoto makes it easy to get them on iOS devices, use in iMovie, etc.

Cheers

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OkayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow