External boom microphone for NEX-6 shipping mid-March (ECM-XYST1M): $159

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
focuspulling
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Re: External boom microphone for NEX-6 shipping mid-March (ECM-XYST1M): $159
In reply to focuspulling, Mar 18, 2013

focuspulling wrote:

Here's an exciting additional prospect (though I'm not holding my breath): IF this is an active/not passive adapter, the NEX-6 could be opened up to an even broader swath of existing accessories made for the Active Interface Shoe standard (e.g., bluetooth wireless mic):

Link to Sony Store

Electrical contacts are not visible from this angle, so I'm admittedly skeptical.

So I got it, and tested with two of the most promising candidates for making use of this adapter.  Big fail.  Here's what I got after mounting the ECW-HW2 Bluetooth Wireless Microphone kit that works on ALL Active Interface Shoe products:

Sony NEX-6 with Bluetooth Wireless Mic receiver ECM-HW2 attached via Active Interface Shoe adapter

The screen says, "This accessory is not supported."  It's a pity, since it's works just fine on all other tested devices with Sony's universal mount.  The adapter isn't a cold shoe and is supposed to pass information using its pin connectors at either end.

Another accessory that didn't work was even simpler:  an LED light with that Active Interface Shoe which would have only required DC power, having its own on/off switch.

Sony:  WHY?!

focuspulling's gear list:focuspulling's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow