Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
Huh?
In reply to gary stepic, Mar 18, 2013

gary stepic wrote:

Thanks, I have heard many sports shooters were not real pleased with D7000 focus so not surprised D7100 is a big improvement. I have been happy with D300S so from most accounts I think I will be happier with D7100. I don't think I will be losing anything in frame rate since I have not been using the battery grip, which means I have been getting 7 frames a second with D300S. I know I have not been getting even that frame rate, maybe because of shooting raw and maybe Sandisk Extreme III not fast enough card (would the card actually make much of a difference?).

the memory card is not  a factor preventing 7 fps. it only a factor in recovery after the buffer fills. (this is the same with any camera)

It's obviously possible with the D300s, I know, I have had one. There are other things that slow the fps... shutter speed comes to mind... you can't get 7 fps with a 1/30th sec shutter speed despite setting the fps dial to Hi.

let us know 'how' you are/were, trying to get that speed .. what shutterspeed etc

I like the idea of having a lighter camera when hiking and traveling. I will get the battery grip and this will give me a beefier camera when shooting sports and events. I think there will be a D400 in the future but it is looking like the D7100 will be a capable and practical camera for my purposes.

Gary

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow