Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
judith1600
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to Jake64, Mar 18, 2013

I very carefully considered all my options when I decided that when I retired it would be photography that would sustain me both finanically and emotionally.  Having used several different brands over the years (mostly Oly), I settled on Pentax to fulfill the above.

Pentax offers me the particular rendering in a photo that pleases me and my clients: it can be quite painterly when I want it to be.  I do not photograph sports or portraiture, however, my K-5 is capable of dealing with those subjects.  For what I do photograph on a pro basis, the prime lenses (31, 43, 77) are my workhorses.  Yes, I use 17-70, 50-135, 60-250 when called for, but the primes are my go-to lenses.  I consider them to be the abolute best for MY uses.

As for travel photography, the combo of K-5 and 21mm is unbeatable: it is light, battery life is exceptional so I can travel as lightly as possible, street photography is easily accomplished; shooting in all kinds of inclement weather is not problemmatic.  I have found Canon shots to be, occasionally, on the "plastic" side; Nikon doesn't do it for me; the larger DSLR Olys have finicky menus.

If I must err on the side of discretion, then I will take either my old Leica or a much newer Oly XZ-2.

It is not so easy to define what brand works for an individual.  I don't run with the herd; I prefer a certain look to my photos; I initially took the time to reflect on what would best suit my particular photographic needs - and went with that.

Have a look at Benjamin Kanarek's site.  He excels at fashion photography.  There are many others as well who use Pentax for what the conditions dictate at the time.

Regards,

Judith

judith1600's gear list:judith1600's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow