Why use Pentax?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Re: Why use Pentax?
In reply to Jake64, Mar 18, 2013

I very carefully considered all my options when I decided that when I retired it would be photography that would sustain me both finanically and emotionally.  Having used several different brands over the years (mostly Oly), I settled on Pentax to fulfill the above.

Pentax offers me the particular rendering in a photo that pleases me and my clients: it can be quite painterly when I want it to be.  I do not photograph sports or portraiture, however, my K-5 is capable of dealing with those subjects.  For what I do photograph on a pro basis, the prime lenses (31, 43, 77) are my workhorses.  Yes, I use 17-70, 50-135, 60-250 when called for, but the primes are my go-to lenses.  I consider them to be the abolute best for MY uses.

As for travel photography, the combo of K-5 and 21mm is unbeatable: it is light, battery life is exceptional so I can travel as lightly as possible, street photography is easily accomplished; shooting in all kinds of inclement weather is not problemmatic.  I have found Canon shots to be, occasionally, on the "plastic" side; Nikon doesn't do it for me; the larger DSLR Olys have finicky menus.

If I must err on the side of discretion, then I will take either my old Leica or a much newer Oly XZ-2.

It is not so easy to define what brand works for an individual.  I don't run with the herd; I prefer a certain look to my photos; I initially took the time to reflect on what would best suit my particular photographic needs - and went with that.

Have a look at Benjamin Kanarek's site.  He excels at fashion photography.  There are many others as well who use Pentax for what the conditions dictate at the time.

judith1600's gear list:judith1600's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow