Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,102Gear list
Like?
Hi Gary
In reply to gary stepic, Mar 18, 2013

gary stepic wrote:

I would be happy with one stop improvement. I am also curious if dynamic range will be any better than D300S. If I am going to start shooting more jpgs this could be important when shooting in bright sun. 12 megapixels is more than enough for media guides so 15 will be just fine for when I do shoot in the 1.3 mode. I also like the idea of a little more detail because I can bring action closer by either having more room to crop when using 24 megapixes or using the 1.3 crop mode in camera.

I agree. With downsizing to 12-16mp, I wouldn't be surprised to see a full stop of improvement over the d300. Dunno if you can do that in-camera though.  So long as you can live with the frame rate, the d7100 is looking very good so far.  Hopefully the JPG engine will be among their best.  Have you worked out a good Picture Control for your current camera?

The money I am saving (I have budgeted $1900 for the D300S replacement) could go toward a battery grip and other accesories. I tend to raise my elbow with when shooting vertical, usually not a problem but it was bothering a photographer next to me during a game. The battery grip will help in that regard.

That's funny.

I am really curious to learn more about the transmitter for mobile devices. That could come in handy for posting sports photos to the web quickly.

Yes, that would be very cool, I think.  Dial in the Picture Controls for various lighting conditions and then zip them direct to a website.  Wow.  What an improvement in capability over just a few years ago.

I know how much you were wanting an improved DX camera. The d7100 preliminary info looks pretty good so far. I hope that if you get one, that it works out well for you.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow