Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,863
Like?
Re: Asking for Purchase Advice – New Lens
In reply to chimpsky, Mar 18, 2013

chimpsky wrote:

Hi there,

I want to purchase a wide angle lens and I’m looking for some advice.

I’m somewhat of a beginner but I don’t want to make a cheap purchase that I’m going to quickly outgrow. I purchased my first DSLR, a Rebel T4i, almost a year ago. I’m happy with the camera but I expect to upgrade in the future so I want to avoid an EF-S lens.

The first purchase I made after the camera was a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and I am very happy with the lens. Now I’m looking to add a second lens. At first I wasn’t certain if I would get more use out of a telephoto zoom or a wide angle zoom, but given some consideration I think I would have more use for a wide angle lens.

I’ve budgeted about $1,000 for the purchase. I’m looking for a lens that will work for landscape photography and hopefully be versatile enough for some interesting portraits. My first consideration was the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM, but I’m reading some reports that the lens isn’t very sharp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

if you already have the 18-135 or 18-55 don't get the 17-40.  Avoiding EF-S lens will not get you the best wide angle on a crop (Canon 10-22) but there are non-Canon lens that are OK, eg. Sigma 12-24

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow