Help an old i***t please - will firmware update help the SD1 in my case?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SiFu
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,413
Like?
Help an old i***t please - will firmware update help the SD1 in my case?
Mar 18, 2013

Hi!

Yes, I am an old i****t, buying uninformed... Can't change that part, but could return the camera.

Here's the situation - I wanted to get back to shooting macro again this year and bought an SD1M (still owning an SD10 and SD14). It arrived today and I put it through my usual testing procedure of adapting it to an old Nikon PB4 bellows and old Macro Nikkor 12cm (as well as Macro Nikkor 19/2.8) to see how it works. Besides my dedicated SA lenses, this is how I shoot. I do so on my SD10 and SD 14 - all without a problem.

The results I am getting from my new SD1M are not to be called "results" though. The frames turn out splattered with (mostly) green vignetting (only the very center of the frame is somewhat unaffected).

The camera came with the very first firmware installed. I did not upgrade yet, as I am uncertain, how this will affect the returnability of the body.

This brings me to my questions:

1: could I have received a defective body (I won't have access to any of my SA mount lenses to see how the SD1 behaves with them before the return-window expires - unfortunately this won't help me rule out a possible defect of my copy) or is this an SD1 thing?;

2: will updating firware make this "issue" go away (I only want to do it, if I can be sure, it will help).

Would hate to send the SD1M back, but will have to do so, if there is no "fix".

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Regards,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
=> Selected Macro Photos:
http://www.pbase.com/magma_photography/jf

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
...New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow