Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Some clarifications
In reply to sgoldswo, Mar 18, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

Agreed largely, but it would be fairer to point in terms of equivalence to that applicable to the XF lenses as well (e.g. the F1.4 35 is something like a F2.1 on FF from a DOF point of view). I strongly disagree on the two Panny zooms (which I own and are both great) but the 12-35 isn't perfect on the E_m5 due to bad CA.

Yes, I forgot to mention the FF terms with the Fuji lenses, but it still allows for shallower DOF compared to M43 AF offerings.  After using them, I'll take the X 14/2.8 over the Oly 12/2, the 35/1.4 over the Panny 25/1.4 and the 18-55 over the Panny 12-35 - and when the 23/1.4 and 56/1.4 drop, they will offer superior light gathering and DOF compared to any equivalent AF lens in M43.

The OP said shallow DOF and long exposures were a high priority so that's where I was coming from, the incredibly clean files Fuji renders and the shallower DOF you can get with native AF lenses.  I wasn't impressed with the 12-35 for the money - its a good lens, but IMO not worth ~$1200 when I just paid $650 for a new Canon 24-105L that's every bit as good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow