B&W Paris Streets (on music) : Tell me what you think, please.

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,217
Like?
Chembro, some stuff to digest
In reply to Chembro, Mar 18, 2013

Chembro wrote:

An excellent set of photos, as we have come to expect from you Roel, and the B/W treatment is effective, especially for a Paris street offering - but, as others above have mentioned, for an AV there is too much movement, and, this may surprise you, too many photos.

Well, I see a difference in intention in slideshows: one is to showcase individual shots (and it needs to be pretty slow for that) and another is to create a whirlwind of impressions.  Just a few days ago, I saw a slideshow of little over one minute with really an incredible amount of shots.  It was called the proverbial "New York Minute".  A guy compressed his images of two days of visiting into one kaleidoscopic minute.  No way to look at any shot individually.  And it worked.

But I agree that I should probably aim at maximum 8-10 shots per minute and tune down on the special effects (pan-zoom).  As it is, the show flows at an indiscriminate 5 sec per photo.

For a slideshow of this duration (4-5 minutes) it is better to limit numbers to 40-50 IMHO. We want time to see the images, not just the movement. As a critic here I should still be in praise mode at this point but because there were so many images, by the time I reached the end I had forgotten what I had seen at the beginning - and this left me with a rather frustrated feeling - so criticism rather than praise is taking precedence.

I understand that. I will address it in future efforts.

Sorry. I did go back and look at individual images, however, initially just to count how many, and really enjoyed the quality and the variety of scene.

That is also why I included the link to not just the slideshow, but also the gallery from which the show is compiled : those interested in the (square format) "originals can watch them at leisure there.

There is a place for panning and zooming, and the temptation to use them is real, but you have used them as the exclusive transition methodology, eliminating a separate viewing time, and have not left us with any opportunity to really see and appreciate the whole image. With each image occupying 8-10 secs the transition time could be 3-5 secs at most with perhaps some variation in the transition format, including timed fades etc.

All of that is on my list of to-dos for a next occasion.

If you could slow the presentation down somewhat I am sure it would give a more satifying impression. In fact it woud add significantly to my pleasure from this forum if we could see more short slideshows. I personally use Pictures to Exe s/w but I am inpressed that you have been able to use a phone app.

OK : Pictures to Exe - that's one I will check out.

I will look forward to more of this type of work from you. Kind regards, Chembro

Thank you for your well-motivated and interesting remarks and for the encouragement.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow