Leaving DSLR - pros and cons of X-E1 vs OM-D EM-5

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Some thoughts from an owner of both
In reply to pavinder, Mar 18, 2013

pavinder wrote:

even at base ISO there is a little something extra from the Fuji sensor. It comes down to more natural colour transitions (which look great on skies and skin). Paired with the stunning lenses available for the Fuji the IQ can be very, very impressive.

This is exactly my main concern - will I feel disappointed with the E-M5 images whenever I see Fuji shots?

I'm hoping that a little post-processing might go some way towards bridging any difference in colour balance, tonal transitions, etc.

I don't see it. In fact, there is less and less difference between a decent point and shoot, and a full frame camera, at lower ISO's. You need to get into regions of large dynamic range before you see it.

This weekend, I accidentally underexposed an X-E1 shoot, at a studio workshop. There was definitely NOT the same ability to pull the shadows that there is with the D600 or D800. They weren't crazy noisy, but they didn't have the color I see with the Nikons's Sony sensor.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow