schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,980
Like?
Re: Here are ACR processed
In reply to MAC, Mar 18, 2013

MAC wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I took 3 shots on the dollar bill and on the school building with each lens and selected the best one (they virtually identical as I shoot all on tripod, MLU with 2-sec timer, remote release).

Processed in ACR and I enlarged 5D photos to the same size 5184x3456 from 4368x2912 thru Bicubic process. This time I picked up Adobe Standard profile, and give absolute zero sharpening (moved all bars to the very left in sharpening tab) and all default setting except adjust to the same color temperature. I exported to JPEG at max (12) quality.

I. Indoor dollar bill.

Bear in mind that I shoot at just outside the min focus distance. 60D focus thru 10x LV precisely while 5D thru AF (that may subject a bit more focus inaccuracy). I cropped out to only dollar bill (to save space).

Only with 24-70L II this time

ACR 5D+24-70L enlarged

ACR 6D+24-70L

II. Outdoor schools building

ACR 5D+24-70L II enlarged

ACR 60D+24-70L II enlarged

Please don't jump on conclusion if results turn to your either way I really tried my best effort and I did as fair as possible. I truly don't have agenda as I own both cameras. I wish less can do equally or even more like everyone else but still have to face reality

Here are my own impression.

60D in very close distance (sort of macro mode) on the dollar bill truly can leverage one of the best lenses, 24-70L II in very center area. It may edge out 5Dc in such scenario slightly but only very slightly.

5D photo in such close distance shows a bit moire in very tiny fine lines (that damaged a bit resolution) as DPR review said.

5D shows a bit advantage in outside from distance (or in real-world photo). It's noticeable sharper in edge/corners and has less noises even with 24-70L II.

With lesser lenses such as 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS, 5D is almost the same if not slightly better even after enlargement in center on the dollar bill, and better on the school building. I will post results later as I am a bit tired today.

yes - 24-105 is a lesser lens - I wouldn't use it on crop.

But my 70-200 F2.8 L on T4i shows same results you got

so DXO Mark is a joke across formats

They rate 70-200 F2.8L an 8 MPix on 7d

and 70-200 F2.8L an 11 MPix on 5dc

why -- because they are not testing Equivalency Across Formats. They are moving the crop sensor backwards -- which is unfair!

They aren't measuring resolution either - they are measuring sharpness in most cases. Because they are testing lenses - not cameras!

Lesson for you over and over -- don't believe what you read at dxo or TDP when it comes to comparing across formats. Believe Photozone -- they said not to use their site to do comparisons across formats

DXOMark may use average resolution/sharpness to give P-MPix number. DXOMark only give you an idea in Measurements | Sharpness | FieldMap but they didn't publish details tested MTF on each F stop and in center/mid-range/edge and corners.

Thanks for your comments so far.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow