Review of X-Pro1 with latest firmware (2.0)

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cre8unique
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Review of X-Pro1 with latest firmware (2.0)
Mar 18, 2013

I've been using an Olympus Pen camera (currently an E-PL3) as a second carry-everywhere camera for the last year or two. And I've been very happy. So happy that my DSLR hardly gets a look in these days (seems to be a common story!). So I've finally decided to get a more serious compact system camera to replace my DSLR as my main camera.

As an established Olympus user (with a small selection of lenses already in hand) the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (daft name not withstanding!!) is an obvious choice... but I find myself unable to keep from lusting over the Fuji X-mount cameras and, more importantly, the fantastic range of lenses that suits my needs perfectly!

Fujifilm UK currently have a fairly generous cash back offer on the X-Pro1 (£300 with two lenses or £350 with 3 lenses) and this, combined with the fact that I'm not all that interested in the latest 18-55mm zoom, is pushing me towards the X-Pro1 rather than the X-E1 (with this cash back offer the X-Pro1 is about the same price as the X-E1 if you don't want the 18-55 lens)

But the problem is this: all the reviews I've seen for the X-Pro1 praise the image quality to the high heavens, but make a long list of complaints about its operational effectiveness (slow AF, problems with the implementation of MF, problems focusing at maximum aperture, aperture chattering etc).

Taken together these problems are a deal breaker for me. Beauty and image quality are worthless if the camera places so many obstructions in the way of getting the pictures you want!

Of course it's great that Fujifilm are listening to the complaints and improving the firmware (did they break the record for the number of firmware updates in the first year of a cameras life?!). It's a bit worrying that Fujifilm would release a camera with such half-baked firmware in the 1st place, but the real problem is judging the effectiveness of these firmware updates. All the reviews out there are with the original firmware... extensive Googling has yet to turn up a comprehensive, authoritative and unbiased review (or indeed any review at all!!) that has been updated with the latest v2.0 firmware.

If a series of firmware updates dramatically changes a camera for the better this must be a real problem for Fujifilm, because all the reviews out there still include this long list of serious problems that are putting off potential buyers.

Well, it's taken a while to get to my request (!) but here it is: can anyone out there in Fujifilm land point me to a good review for the X-Pro1 that has been properly updated with firmware 2.0?

Many thanks, Chris

-- hide signature --

Chris Osborne - Edinburgh - www.cjo.info

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow