GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,417Gear list
Like?
Re: How about exchangeable sensors?
In reply to Klipsen, Mar 18, 2013

Klipsen wrote:

Ricoh have their GXRs, and now there's this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/cool-equinox-e-mount-camera-concept/#comments

So, I was thinking: What if Sony made exchangeable sensors of different sizes and resolutions for

the NEXes? That way, unlike the GXRs, all lenses could be used with all sensors, making lenses

longer by simply using a smaller sensor.

Good idea?

My impression with the Ricoh was that the modules were expensive.  If it's cheaper to just, say, buy a P&S camera in order to have your small sensor long-range camera, then modules don't help.

Maybe eventually such systems will be mature enough to support better modularity.  But until it's cost-effective, there's no point.

In the short term, you can always crop to fake a smaller sensor.  With higher megapixel cameras, this is more doable, and seems like a more practical solution.

I was just recently listening to a commentary about integrated vs. modular. The speaker suggested that a lot of technologies start out with integrated designs and only after the  inducstry matures does it switch to modular.  (One example used was the desktop PC, while the mobile PC still is mostly integrated.  Although, this seems to me more of a practical matter of construction.)

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow