Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
pen araneae
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Greek Festival - 12-50mm Photos
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 18, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

pen araneae wrote:

My answer to your question is: overall it is worth the money. In fact I was quite fond of the versatility of the lens. It has a very good zoom range, rain proof, light, very good macro. I was happily using it and brought it along with me to China for a two and half weeks trip. After I returned and looked at the pics in detail I discovered a great weakness in the lens. When you shoot in bright sunshine and if the sun is not behind you, the chance of getting nasty flare is very high. So it seems it is a good lens to have in rain but I would be worried using it when the bright lights are in front of you. A lens hood helps but cannot eliminate flare all together.

Is this nasty flare some bright spots or coloured rays? and not just a veiling flare?

Yes, I ought to be more precise what what I mean by nasty flare. It is like what you say some bright spots, sometimes dark spots too, AND rays not necessarily coloured. See the photo below.

An example of flare with the Oly mZD 12-50mm kit lens

pen araneae's gear list:pen araneae's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow