Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,283Gear list
Like?
Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?
Mar 18, 2013

I am really hoping the D7100 will be a decent replacement in spite of the known short comings like the buffer. One posters opinion concerns me because he said he was not impressed with how the D7100 acquires focus. I am hoping this person is not a sports shooter and was not using the best settings for sports. By looking at the specs it appears it should be as good if not better when it comes to focusing.

I think many of us want to know how shooting at high iso compares, for me I would be interested in comparing 1600 and 3200 iso settings.

The smaller size may be a plus for me because I need to figure ways to travel a little lighter. I am thinking of getting the battery grip for when I shoot sports, which I normally don't use but I am thinking it would help in how it feels in my hands and having a vertical shutter release will make the guys I sit next to on the court happy because my elbow often gets in their way.

I typically shoot raw, which is the exception for sports shooters. I may start shooting jpgs and if so I think the smaller buffer may not be a real big issue. This leads me to a question about the inexpensive wifi transmitter that allows files to be sent to phones or ipads. The college I shoot sports for (Go Lobos!) uses my photos for media guides so typically no rush to process files. I may start providing photos that go on the athletic departments web sites and usually Sports Information Directors want the files at half time and right after the game, and these are web sized files.

So an important question is can the wifi transmitter send files to a laptop or just mobile devices? It would not make sense that it could not send files to a computer, it would make sense the files may be smaller sizes. There is a huge price difference so there has to be some limitations, I am just not sure what they are. This is the product I am talking about is the WU-1a wireless mobile adaptor.

So to get photos on a college sports web site could I use the device to send photos to a phone and then that person can upload to a web site?

And just one more question, if I do start shooting jpgs, is noise less visible in a jpg file?

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Nikon D300S Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow