qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to Atoche, Mar 18, 2013

Atoche wrote:

so the conclusions I can draw from reading all of this comparison and post:

1. resolution/detail is different thing than "sharpness"

I guess related. Wondering why DxOMark changed to perceptual sharpness.

2. the 60D seems to resolve more (seems to be easily measured with the dollar test)

In such very close distance 60D with 24-70L seems edge out 5D in very center area. In outside real world photo from distance it seems not very clear. But 5D is obviously sharper and has a bit more details at edges to my eyes.

3. the 5DC seems to be "sharper" (seems to be perception based, and "measured"/perceived better with the landscape photos)

Larger pixel and weak AA filter (but also subject to moire such as can see on the dollar bill in close distance).

so this means to me that each camera has it's strength (60D - resolution, 5DC sharpness) and comparing them would cause and endless circle of discussion...

Oh, yeah. With better lenses 60D is very closed or even surpass (I don't have 300L/2.8 IS II that will show clearer).  However I found 60D photos have more purple fringes with all respective lenses as shown in MAC's sample.

or am I just waaaay off base here? Just trying to learn what is what with these complex machines :).

No. You said basically correctly above

I own the 5DC and the 7D - the 5DC rarely needs any sharpening at all, and light NR - where the 7D requires heavy sharpening and NR post. I am assuming, of course, the 60D and 7D are "similar enough" to support this opinion.

That's my experience also. I used to use 5D for landscape and portrait (now I use 5D3) and 60D in zoo, safari.. where needs 'reach'. They each has advantage.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

I just said on my initial impression but no conclusion. I believe DXOMark tested correctly. However they should tell how they calculate P-MPix number (average resolution/sharpness cross entire frame?), and publish detail tested MTF data cross frame at different F-stop on each sensor-lens resolution test as Photozone and Lensrentals did.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow